Spinal Cord Damage
Premier Representation in the Four States Area
Injury of any form to your spinal cord could lead to immediate and permanent consequences. If you have been in an accident that was not your fault and are now suffering due to back and spine injury, you must be prepared to strengthen your case to its maximum potential.
By retaining the services of our Joplin, Springfield & Rogers/Bentonville personal injury attorneys, you not only get a team that is compassionate and trustworthy but you also get a group of professionals who have more than 140 years of collective legal and trial experience.
Taking your case to the next level should not be an uphill battle. At Johnson, Vorhees & Martucci, we want to make this experience as easy on you as possible. One of the many ways we put your priorities before our own is by offering contingency fee agreements: you will not owe us any attorney fees unless we win your case! Furthermore, when we do get paid, it is only out of a percentage of your winnings so you never have to worry about taking anything out of your own pocket.
Don’t forget your case evaluation is FREE. Request yours today to begin.
Causes & Consequences of Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord is one of the most sensitive parts of our bodies. The bundles of nerves that run and down our spines and allow the control of most of our limbs and organs can be severely damaged in accidents great and small. To prevent catastrophic spinal cord injury, negligence must not be a part of our day-to-day activities.
Commonplace accidents that may result in spine damage include:
The harm caused to the spinal cord could cause:
- Limb paralysis (total or partial)
- Loss of bowel control
- Pain walking, standing or sitting
- Agonizing muscle spasms
Necessary Compensation After Spinal Injury
A person who has suffered a spinal cord injury can feel the impacts and consequences both immediately and permanently. Day-to-day life can become a struggle as a direct result of their condition. Initial treatments may help control or reduce the damage but oftentimes this is not enough. Extensive treatments, dangerous surgeries, and lifelong rehabilitation are often necessary to fully care for a person who has experienced a traumatic spinal cord injury. All of the consequences of a spine injury require maximized compensation, for treatments will be expensive.
Compensation in a spinal injury case should include:
- Emergency medical attention: A person who has suffered a spinal cord injury must be hospitalized immediately. Oftentimes, the emergency room is necessary for a sudden operation. Health insurance usually only covers a small portion of the cost of emergency medical treatments.
- Hospitalization: In some cases, the vast majority of a person’s medical bills account for hospitalization and in-patient care. Due to the fact that a spinal injury can literally take someone off their feet for weeks or months and jeopardize their health considerably, extended hospital stays are often necessary.
- Rehabilitation: After the release from the hospital, a person with a spinal cord injury will most likely need intense rehabilitation for years in order to regain control of any paralyzed limbs, or to prevent any further degeneration.
- Lost wages: A person with a spinal cord injury may be able to collect leave-of-absence pay, workers’ compensation, or Social Security Disability benefits. The financial aid collected from these programs is rarely equivalent to what they would have earned in their lifetime had they never been severely injured. Compensation for spinal damage claims should include lost wages to cover this gap.
- Pain and suffering: Nominal damages in a personal injury case include emotional trauma and general grief. Few incidents can cause more pain, suffering, and loss of well-being as a spinal cord injury. Nominal damages are generally 2-10 times the actual cost of total medical bills.
Legal Advocates You Can Trust
Our Joplin personal injury lawyers are committed to the well-being of our clients from the very first moment they contact us. We have heard simply too many stories of impersonal, uncaring attorneys representing clients without the compassion and tenacity required to secure a victory. When you work with our team, we know that you will see right away just how badly we want to see you comfortable and care for once again.
For your spinal injury case, call (833) 600-0125 today.